What are your thoughts on the movie?

Your thoughts on the BAA universe. Anything can be posted here.

Moderator: crazyankan

virdux

What are your thoughts on the movie?

Postby virdux » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Based on the trailer, I don't like it:

- They made Ido's assistant a black lady. I don't have anything against black people or ladies, it's just that it's not how it is in the manga and I don't like how they are changing characters just to make the movie more race and gender diverse. A movie doesn't have to have representation from every race, regardless of what race it is. The cast should be whoever fits the role the best, or in this case, whoever fits the manga characters the best

- On the same note, Yugo in the movie seems very different from the one in the manga, much older too. Alita looks much older too. The romance in the manga was between two children/adolescents while the one in the movie looks like it'll be more mature

- Something tells me that they'll mix in different things from different arcs to make one movie out of it. I would have much preferred that they just make a faithful movie representation of the manga even if it means covering only the first arc or parts of it

- The environment looks way too shiny, flashy, and clean for scrapyard. This doesn't capture the dirty, real, grittiness of the place. I think they'll have the right elements, but it just won't look real. For example, a trashcan in the movie will look like a trashcan made just for the movie and not a real trashcan.

The only hope I have for this movie is that it'll still turn out to be a good movie because Cameron is the director. Also, I hope that Yukito was able to have strong oversight and influence in its development.

00_unit
GIB

Re: What are your thoughts on the movie?

Postby 00_unit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 pm

virdux wrote:Based on the trailer, I don't like it:

- They made Ido's assistant a black lady. I don't have anything against black people or ladies, it's just that it's not how it is in the manga and I don't like how they are changing characters just to make the movie more race and gender diverse. A movie doesn't have to have representation from every race, regardless of what race it is. The cast should be whoever fits the role the best, or in this case, whoever fits the manga characters the best

- On the same note, Yugo in the movie seems very different from the one in the manga, much older too. Alita looks much older too. The romance in the manga was between two children/adolescents while the one in the movie looks like it'll be more mature

- Something tells me that they'll mix in different things from different arcs to make one movie out of it. I would have much preferred that they just make a faithful movie representation of the manga even if it means covering only the first arc or parts of it

- The environment looks way too shiny, flashy, and clean for scrapyard. This doesn't capture the dirty, real, grittiness of the place. I think they'll have the right elements, but it just won't look real. For example, a trashcan in the movie will look like a trashcan made just for the movie and not a real trashcan.

The only hope I have for this movie is that it'll still turn out to be a good movie because Cameron is the director. Also, I hope that Yukito was able to have strong oversight and influence in its development.

James Cameron only wrote the screenplay and is only a producer at best, also movies or tv series getting influence by political correctness is becoming quite common as far as I'm concern. Yugo is the one who introduces alita to motorball and is the Alita's coach instead of Esdoc("Ed"). It won't be a faithful adapation that's for sure as gelda is a motorball player and Nova can take over people's body which is much different than the manga. Very anxious seeing how the movie will perform but there are some adaptation that don't follow comics/novels and still turn to be very enjoyable like dreamworks adapting how to train your dragon, the movie is extremely different from the novel and yet it was really good and even better than the novel. One can hope that alita battle angel is one of the good adaption

Cahir

Postby Cahir » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 pm

1) As importance goes, if that lady is only "black-washed thing" in the movie, I am fine with it. And for realism, they really need to have more "black ones" here, because nowdays there are many non-whites in america, I guess. Just don't make upper world "Evil white dudes"...
2) Eh, still works, I guess... more attractive means more plausible for Alita to love him.
3) Well, what can I say, I like that idea. But yeah, it easily can become convoluted. We will see.
4) Lets hope that they will work on that in post-production.

Abaddon
Barjack soldier

Postby Abaddon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:18 am

Shouldn't you wait until the movie is released to make any kind of statement? :cheesygrin:

zwolfbar
Deckman

Postby zwolfbar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 am

Well it's december 21st now not july which pits it against aquaman/bumblebee I'm guessing the other merch will be moved to december too as fox wouldn't want spoilers before anyone bought tickets.

kamugin
Tipharean

Postby kamugin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:38 am

If I remember well, this was already debated to exhaustion here https://forum.rippersanime.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1082
Let's not repeat ourselves and wait for the actual movie release, plz. :|

toltech99

Postby toltech99 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:54 pm

I have full hope in Cameron's movie. It won't be perfect, but it will be something, and something is better than nothing. The same goes for Disney's Star Wars. They aren't good movies, but at least we have'em.

litchi master
Barjack soldier

Postby litchi master » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 am

About the female gonzu, I ve got not complaints i don't really see the point, but in this case if the personality fits the bill I am good,(Gonzu being a good natured drinking buddy who often crashes at his friend's place and helps him occasionally with his work) I just hope the change will not result in the character being downgraded to a purely utilitarian assistant due to the gender change. I really loved the character design though, too bad the only cyborg enhancement this female version seems to have is a prosthetic arm. When you first saw him you understood immediately that cyborgs were a thing in this world and that some were not as advanced as Alita. i do not find it as striking with this version, just my opinion. About her being black, I don't care.

A movie doesn't have to have representation from every race, regardless of what race it is.

Totally agree.
the only instance where I am absolutely against such changes is when it is not chronologically/historically accurate. As it shatters the suspension of disbelief, the only time I remember this was done correctly is in the 1991 version of Robin Hood: prince of thieves, Morgan Freeman's character had a reason to actually be there and he was properly introduced, moreover people didn't treat his presence as normal and they acted accordingly. One must remember that a man like Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges was an exception in continental Europe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_de_Saint-Georges and he was noble.
In a modern setting though, and even more in a futuristic setting No problem.

For Yugo, I am surprisingly open though the fact that he may have Introduced Alita to motorball, for a simple reason we are never explicitly told how she came to know the sport, just that Ed found her at some point after yugo died and she was roaming aimlessly stricken with grief.
If this fact does anything, it adds coherence to the original work. As motorball may well have been a passion of yugo's even though it was not too popular in their district. Moreover the manga uses ellipses a lot and a lot is left for our imagination(which I love) but for a casual movie goer it may be a good thing. And it fleshes out the relationship between the characters, showing them sharing something more. It doesn't necessarily contradicts the plot either: Yugo is obsessed by Zalem (Tiphares) and motorball and only sees Alita as a friend who has a huge athletic potential, while Alita practices motorball to get closer to yugo. After he died she went on practicing it because it reminded her of him, plotwise it works well.
Provided the movie remains based on the first two and a half volumes I am ok with that. As long as yugo only introduces motorball, and Alita doesn't officially compete and until she meets Ed and the latter keeps his role as her trainer/manager in a possible sequel it doesn't bother me in the least.
Et le coureur à bout de force ... fut accuelli par une tempête de tollés!!!