Novel prequel to the movie

Your thoughts on the BAA universe. Anything can be posted here.

Moderator: crazyankan

kuroro86
GIB

Novel prequel to the movie

Post by kuroro86 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:09 am

I just found out that there is a Novel prequel to the movie, If you enjoyed the movie you could be interested to it. It could be a complete new story. I did find the audiobook also.

jjaquinta
Deckman

Re: Novel prequel to the movie

Post by jjaquinta » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:16 pm

I'm reading through it at the moment. I'm planning on doing a review when I finish. So far I'm finding it very difficult. I've been a huge apologist for the movie, but the novel I'm really not liking.

Gut wrenching bang-head-against-wall moment from last night's reading: after a tussle between Hugo and Tanji, Koyomi says that one of them has to buy her an iced coffee to calm down. An "iced coffee". AN EXPLETIVE ICED COFFEE.

This is the goddamn scrapyard. Or even the "Iron City" of the movie setting. It's the collection of things that have been thrown out and only cobbled together enough to support Zalem. It's not like there's a Starbucks on every corner. So maybe coffee is grown somewhere for Zalem and someone filched some. Well, that would be a super-expensive luxury, not a casual street punk diversion. And ice? Sure, making ice isn't hard, but who wants to waste the power? All together it's such a trivial, casual luxury that, itself, could barely exist in the setting, let alone an infrastructure or society where "getting one" was a casual happenstance.

This sort of thing is why reading the book has been slow going.

Silvery
Deckman

Post by Silvery » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:31 pm

jjaquinta wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:16 pm
[snip]
What someone considers an immersion-breaking detail differs from person to person, of course, but I feel like you're overthinking it a bit. That coffee might as well be just some shitty artificial flavouring, and would ice be that hard to make? I'm pretty sure that at least some Scrapyardians have fridges, not to mention that various equipment needs cooling - another opportunity to make some ice. In general people tend to be creative. Have you ever heard of the WWII pilots who used their planes to make ice cream? ;)
believing a sign of Zeta~

Martin
Barjack soldier

Post by Martin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:53 am

It seems probable that YK never gave it a look