Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Your thoughts on the BAA universe. Anything can be posted here.

Moderator: crazyankan

User avatar
Neksus
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by Neksus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm

kamugin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:23 pm
Let's face it, the action sequences in Alita Battle Angel movie are pretty lame.
No way... I do not want Alita movie to be another unrealistic cartoon-styled ultrafast action with heroes, endowed with unnatural and magic-like abilities. It works fine with manga, where you imagine the motions like in anime. But i definitely appreciate JC and RR for the film going by realistic line as much as it can, considering the genre.

User avatar
kamugin
Tipharean
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Nazi Brazil

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by kamugin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Neksus wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm
No way... I do not want Alita movie to be another unrealistic cartoon-styled ultrafast action with heroes, endowed with unnatural and magic-like abilities. It works fine with manga, where you imagine the motions like in anime. But i definitely appreciate JC and RR for the film going by realistic line as much as it can, considering the genre.
Man, what you wrote doesn't make any sense, can't you see it?! A movie with things like floating cities, a three hundred yo cyborg, hunter warriors, motorball and so on would never be anything close to "realistic"! Alita, and other cyborgs portrayed in the movie, already have "magic skills", the action sequences are just lame, that's my complaint.
Nem aquilo a que me entrego já me traz contentamento.

User avatar
kamugin
Tipharean
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Nazi Brazil

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by kamugin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:22 pm

kamugin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:35 pm
Sam wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm
The question now is: how fast do you think Gally is when fighting her first fight against Makaku?
As fast as Faora, like i said before. Just remember, Makaku pointed that Alita wouldn't be able to move at supersonic speeds while holding the baby Koyomi, moreover the grind cutter Makaku took from Kinuba was also supersonic. Alita don't throw locomotives, but she certainly is able to wreck one with her eletromagnectic punch :cheesygrin:
Sam, you asked about the first fight between those two, I noticed it later, sorry. Since both of them didn't have their "upgrades" yet, that fight would have to be much slower, of course.
Nem aquilo a que me entrego já me traz contentamento.

User avatar
Neksus
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by Neksus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:24 pm

kamugin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 pm
Neksus wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm
No way... I do not want Alita movie to be another unrealistic cartoon-styled ultrafast action with heroes, endowed with unnatural and magic-like abilities. It works fine with manga, where you imagine the motions like in anime. But i definitely appreciate JC and RR for the film going by realistic line as much as it can, considering the genre.
Man, what you wrote doesn't make any sense, can't you see it?! A movie with things like floating cities, a three hundred yo cyborg, hunter warriors, motorball and so on would never be anything close to "realistic"! Alita, and other cyborgs portrayed in the movie, already have "magic skills", the action sequences are just lame, that's my complaint.
I said "as much as it can, considering the genre." cities not just float, they are hold by orbital ring. Cyborg bodies is futuristic machinery. Immortality - nanomachine technology. Ability to move and fight with supersonic speed without some sort of reactive(or some else) engine in the ass - magic. Not to mention speed overload factor on human brain and inertion...

User avatar
kamugin
Tipharean
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Nazi Brazil

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by kamugin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am

Neksus wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:24 pm
I said "as much as it can, considering the genre." cities not just float, they are hold by orbital ring. Cyborg bodies is futuristic machinery. Immortality - nanomachine technology. Ability to move and fight with supersonic speed without some sort of reactive(or some else) engine in the ass - magic. Not to mention speed overload factor on human brain and inertion...
I understand that, as a Russian, you may prefer a more Tarkovsky like SF movie (Solaris) :cheesygrin:
It is interesting your selectiveness regarding what is plausible from a scientific point of view and what is not. If we take physics to the letter, Alita couldn't throw a punch at, let's say, Grewishika, without suffering an equal amount of damage (law of action-reaction). In the movie, like in the manga, her berserk body can produce plasma jets, so she could use those as rockets to propel herself at supersonic speeds and don't forget her polymer hardened brain.
Nem aquilo a que me entrego já me traz contentamento.

User avatar
Neksus
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by Neksus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 am

kamugin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am
If we take physics to the letter, Alita couldn't throw a punch at, let's say, Grewishika, without suffering an equal amount of damage (law of action-reaction).
She did not punch him with any significant power in the movie, btw. She is only dismembered his arm at the joint point once, pushed in torso by by two legs kick which is easy to amortize, plunged her arm in his eye hole. All her other hits was like a slap. Anyway, if not to apply some assumption, there won't be a film at all ) it is not a big deal in this case.
kamugin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am
In the movie, like in the manga, her berserk body can produce plasma jets, so she could use those as rockets to propel herself at supersonic speeds and don't forget her polymer hardened brain.
She does not using it same way in the movie. For now, at least.
Well, it is hard to explain, but i just do not believe in this BS like in MoS fight scene. It looks like a silly pinball game. I can accept and believe in many fantastic things, but not in such abrupt movement. It's just feels wrong. It's lame because it is choppy, not detailed and characters got no inertion.
In live action movie creators needs to try to keep balance between realistic and super-duper abilities much harder, and i like how they did it with Alita movie. I believed that could happen at some point of thechnological progress. When i've seen MoS, i didn't.

User avatar
kamugin
Tipharean
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Nazi Brazil

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by kamugin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Nitpicking every single movement is way too much for me, it just doesn't worth the effort. To me, one of the most attractive sides of Gunnm is that Kishiro have huge knowledge of physics, technologies and martial arts, he uses all of these to make Gunnm one of the most scientific accurate mangas I know, plus he draws amazing action scenes too, yet he often have to overlook some scientific facts, otherwise the story would not flow in the desired way. Lets take the case of clonizing Mars for example: just making a canopy to hold an atmosphere and putting some mirrors in orbit to warm the planet wouldn't be enough, take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKGREZs6-w
Of course moving at super speeds the way The Flash (DC) and Quicksilver (Marvel) do is totally absurd, they would need other superpowers to withstand the speed and the inertia, but we have to overlook these "details" in order to appreciate one of the most memorable scenes of the recent X-Men movies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GFyZ5LREQ
In SF, the power of a totally inaccurate BS science replaced the power of "magic" from fantasy stories. It's all fiction, man. If you can't accept it, don't watch or read.
For me it is much more acceptable Superman moving at super speeds because he also is invulnerable and have super strenght, yet how is he able to fly? By the other hand those super fast heroes wouldn't be able to save anybody, they would tear people appart when trying to hold on them.
I like Star Wars (only the original trilogy) and Star Trek a lot, like Stephen Hawking confessed once, but like him I know they are a load of bull.
In order to have great action sequences, often they need to step on the phisics feet to a certain degree.
Nem aquilo a que me entrego já me traz contentamento.

User avatar
Neksus
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by Neksus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Ok, let me try from another point...
Is Alita in the movie fast?
Yes!
Is she faster then enyone else?
Yep!
Does she need more speed to look awesome?
No, she already is!

It is great when the action is clearly recognizable while still being very fast. For me, this is as essential as a non-shaking camera.
both of these factors the movie perfectly fulfills.

Let's leave supersonic battles for manga's stills and our imagination (where it is ok to looks like anime)

User avatar
kamugin
Tipharean
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Nazi Brazil

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by kamugin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Neksus wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:51 pm
Does she need more speed to look awesome?
No, she already is!
Well, I guess your standards for "awesome" are far below mine. In half an year I won't be able to remember most of the movie because it was too conventional. You have a problem with speed, ok. There are a lot of action scenes, at human level of speeds, showed in many other movies that are unforgettable, however Alita's movie is not even close, the action sequences are just lame.
Nem aquilo a que me entrego já me traz contentamento.

User avatar
Neksus
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by Neksus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:06 pm

kamugin wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 pm
Well, I guess your standards for "awesome" are far below mine.
hah... ok. Then i just find your taste pretty bad. Thx for conversation.

User avatar
00_unit
GIB
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by 00_unit » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Neksus wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 am
kamugin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am
If we take physics to the letter, Alita couldn't throw a punch at, let's say, Grewishika, without suffering an equal amount of damage (law of action-reaction).
She did not punch him with any significant power in the movie, btw. She is only dismembered his arm at the joint point once, pushed in torso by by two legs kick which is easy to amortize, plunged her arm in his eye hole. All her other hits was like a slap. Anyway, if not to apply some assumption, there won't be a film at all ) it is not a big deal in this case.
kamugin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am
In the movie, like in the manga, her berserk body can produce plasma jets, so she could use those as rockets to propel herself at supersonic speeds and don't forget her polymer hardened brain.
She does not using it same way in the movie. For now, at least.
Well, it is hard to explain, but i just do not believe in this BS like in MoS fight scene. It looks like a silly pinball game. I can accept and believe in many fantastic things, but not in such abrupt movement. It's just feels wrong. It's lame because it is choppy, not detailed and characters got no inertion.
In live action movie creators needs to try to keep balance between realistic and super-duper abilities much harder, and i like how they did it with Alita movie. I believed that could happen at some point of thechnological progress. When i've seen MoS, i didn't.
I'm going to be blunt here, Chinese movies will always makes better fight scenes than western films (in my opinion) :mrgreen: because, Western films the way the actors do action sequence they hold back and show restraint as they are just acting and also manipulate camera angle where we don't see the full impact (not all the time mind you).
Now when you see Chinese film there's no restraint in their kicks and punches they are trained martial artist so the action feels extremely authentic, I mean just look at project a and Cantonese Godfather movies they are my favorite and imo the best action sequences you will in any live action film I seen so far. Western films tend to not really on environments in their martial art action, but when you see these Chinese film it is breathtaking from the rope factory scene and the bar brawl in project a and it is surprising that they are real as they martial artist.

I mean the action impresses a lot of people, that some manga artist were inspired by Chinese movie for their fight scene.

User avatar
00_unit
GIB
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by 00_unit » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:04 pm

kamugin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 pm
Nitpicking every single movement is way too much for me, it just doesn't worth the effort. To me, one of the most attractive sides of Gunnm is that Kishiro have huge knowledge of physics, technologies and martial arts, he uses all of these to make Gunnm one of the most scientific accurate mangas I know, plus he draws amazing action scenes too, yet he often have to overlook some scientific facts, otherwise the story would not flow in the desired way. Lets take the case of clonizing Mars for example: just making a canopy to hold an atmosphere and putting some mirrors in orbit to warm the planet wouldn't be enough, take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKGREZs6-w
Of course moving at super speeds the way The Flash (DC) and Quicksilver (Marvel) do is totally absurd, they would need other superpowers to withstand the speed and the inertia, but we have to overlook these "details" in order to appreciate one of the most memorable scenes of the recent X-Men movies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GFyZ5LREQ
In SF, the power of a totally inaccurate BS science replaced the power of "magic" from fantasy stories. It's all fiction, man. If you can't accept it, don't watch or read.
For me it is much more acceptable Superman moving at super speeds because he also is invulnerable and have super strenght, yet how is he able to fly? By the other hand those super fast heroes wouldn't be able to save anybody, they would tear people appart when trying to hold on them.
I like Star Wars (only the original trilogy) and Star Trek a lot, like Stephen Hawking confessed once, but like him I know they are a load of bull.
In order to have great action sequences, often they need to step on the phisics feet to a certain degree.
One of the reason George Lucas made Star Wars, because he didn't want movies to be like Space Odyssey (although he admits the movie to be the magnum opus of sci fi films) but more like Flash Gordon and make it kinetic and exciting since Space odyssey is hard science fiction and really realistic, as that film was aided by real scientist such as consulting IBM about futuristic computers and also a few members were actually from NASA and MIT computer science, it is highly praised for it grounded and extremely realistic depiction on real life science I mean there is no sound in space after all unlike star wars but that's part of its magic the laser effects makes it more engaging. I find the original first 2 star wars movie good, 3rd one not as good(too much filler and padding, ewoks sucked annoying and pointless also harrison ford acting was much weaker as well)

User avatar
00_unit
GIB
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by 00_unit » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:20 pm

Cahir wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:37 pm
kamugin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm
Sam wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm
Well it's an anime. We're talking about a movie here. Even though they could make it enterily in CGI I doubt that this would be that easy or convincing enough if you do not put motion capture in it. I agree that I was expectinig faster movements and better choreography but visually increasing speed will only result in blurs or more slow motion sequences. The part where she grabs Zapan's throat was actually quite cool!
Castlevania isn't anime, because it wasn't made in Japan. :)
Superhero movies nowadays are almost entirely CG animation, plus an amazing fight sequence has been featured some six years ago in tme "Man of Steel" movie. Watch it and pay special attention to Faora's moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-RhRXZVHPo
I watched that movie few days ago and was thinking how it could work with Alita movie. So I wanted to put that link here myself :cheesygrin:
But it also is from Zack Snyder and we all know what kind of reputation he has. That may have been a reason for holding back. Also that power-level may also be risky for plot reasons. I mean, it would have been impossible to suspend the disbelief, that with such speed Panzer Kunst users were not able to take Nova.

PS: I dislike DCEU movies, but I found MoS to be really good and better than any MCU movie.
Disney plays it too formulaic and safe as some puts it too samey with their films, now when others use the marvel brand they try something unique and bold whether you enjoy or not you get respect how they go for something new like spider verse, that movie was something very original with cutting edge and unique animation or how fox use the marvel brand some weren't good but some actually were like Logan better than any MCU movie and especially spider-man PS4 that storyline they wrote was phenomenal one of the best superhero story I seen, the only MCU I enjoyed out of all of them is Iron man 1 and that is it.
Also DCAU (NOT DCEU) existed before MCU anyway so DC comics made the superhero shared universe concept first in TV or film series.

User avatar
jjaquinta
Deckman
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by jjaquinta » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:09 pm

00_unit wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:37 pm
Now when you see Chinese film there's no restraint in their kicks and punches they are trained martial artist so the action feels extremely authentic,
You are smart to use words like better and feels authentic rather than realistic. The closest I've got to realistic fighting (in so far as you can even use that term for cyborg martial arts!) has been when I did medieval fighting as a hobby. I've fought in quite a few one-on-one tourneys, a number of small unit battles, and a few wars with nearly a thousand people on a side. And this wasn't historical reenactment, where you just played the part and lay down when it was time to die. More like a sport. You wore armor that had to meet regulations, and used weapons to more regulations. The weapons were about the same weight as real ones, so the effort required to use them, and the impact from them, was comparable with real ones. But they were blunt, or had a minimum width, which meant that blows just transferred momentum, rather actually cut limbs off. More enjoyable that way.

From this experience I would say: realistic is boring. I've taken friends to see this sort of fighting. I've watched videos of it. And I'm, like, "Oh my god! What an amazing shot! Look at that! Woah what a move!" and everyone else is "shrug". The roles were reversed when I watched some period fencing with some other people.

My take away from this is that you kind of have to be an expert at the subject to really appreciate the subject. There are flashy moves, and there are relevant moves. And the relevant ones are usually subtle enough that they go over the head of a casual observer.

When it comes to cinema (or anime for that matter), you have to accept that your audience is not going to be composed of experts. So, to create the greatest impact, you aren't really shooting for realistic. You are aiming for what the audience is expecting, or has been trained to expect. For sword fighting that means lots of grunting, sweat flying, blood dripping, and steel clashing steel. It drives me crazy when the combatants are clearly standing far enough apart that they cannot possibly physically hit each other, but I've come to accept it as what is needed to entertain the audience.

So Chinese movies are designed to please a Chinese audience. Western movies are designed to please a Western audience. If you are immersed in the style of Manga, then Chinese is probably going to feel "more authentic". The Alita movie was primarily made for a Western audience, and is going to use the tropes used to convey combat in Western films. So there is bound to be a disconnect between that and the comic. I don't think either are particularly realistic, so it is more a matter of expectations and taste. And that's fine. Realistic would be a lot more boring!

User avatar
00_unit
GIB
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by 00_unit » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:06 am

jjaquinta wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:09 pm
00_unit wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:37 pm
Now when you see Chinese film there's no restraint in their kicks and punches they are trained martial artist so the action feels extremely authentic,
You are smart to use words like better and feels authentic rather than realistic. The closest I've got to realistic fighting (in so far as you can even use that term for cyborg martial arts!) has been when I did medieval fighting as a hobby. I've fought in quite a few one-on-one tourneys, a number of small unit battles, and a few wars with nearly a thousand people on a side. And this wasn't historical reenactment, where you just played the part and lay down when it was time to die. More like a sport. You wore armor that had to meet regulations, and used weapons to more regulations. The weapons were about the same weight as real ones, so the effort required to use them, and the impact from them, was comparable with real ones. But they were blunt, or had a minimum width, which meant that blows just transferred momentum, rather actually cut limbs off. More enjoyable that way.

From this experience I would say: realistic is boring. I've taken friends to see this sort of fighting. I've watched videos of it. And I'm, like, "Oh my god! What an amazing shot! Look at that! Woah what a move!" and everyone else is "shrug". The roles were reversed when I watched some period fencing with some other people.

My take away from this is that you kind of have to be an expert at the subject to really appreciate the subject. There are flashy moves, and there are relevant moves. And the relevant ones are usually subtle enough that they go over the head of a casual observer.

When it comes to cinema (or anime for that matter), you have to accept that your audience is not going to be composed of experts. So, to create the greatest impact, you aren't really shooting for realistic. You are aiming for what the audience is expecting, or has been trained to expect. For sword fighting that means lots of grunting, sweat flying, blood dripping, and steel clashing steel. It drives me crazy when the combatants are clearly standing far enough apart that they cannot possibly physically hit each other, but I've come to accept it as what is needed to entertain the audience.

So Chinese movies are designed to please a Chinese audience. Western movies are designed to please a Western audience. If you are immersed in the style of Manga, then Chinese is probably going to feel "more authentic". The Alita movie was primarily made for a Western audience, and is going to use the tropes used to convey combat in Western films. So there is bound to be a disconnect between that and the comic. I don't think either are particularly realistic, so it is more a matter of expectations and taste. And that's fine. Realistic would be a lot more boring!
if you want realistic just watch sports that is definitely realistic like basketball or boxing. I mean I like sport manga because it is inspired by some realism but adding in the fact that the characters have superhuman traits. I think balance is good in entertainment not too much realism but not too much outlandish ideas as well. What I value is not breaking their fictional universe rules creating contradiction and inconsistencies as that breaks immersionn and i don't like that

User avatar
kamugin
Tipharean
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Nazi Brazil

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by kamugin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 am

jjaquinta wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:09 pm
You are smart to use words like better and feels authentic rather than realistic.
...
From this experience I would say: realistic is boring.
...
When it comes to cinema (or anime for that matter), you have to accept that your audience is not going to be composed of experts.
...
So Chinese movies are designed to please a Chinese audience. Western movies are designed to please a Western audience. If you are immersed in the style of Manga, then Chinese is probably going to feel "more authentic". The Alita movie was primarily made for a Western audience, and is going to use the tropes used to convey combat in Western films. So there is bound to be a disconnect between that and the comic. I don't think either are particularly realistic, so it is more a matter of expectations and taste. And that's fine. Realistic would be a lot more boring!
You have made some good points here, not that I agree to all of them.

"Realistic is boring". True most of the time but not always. I don't like to watch Judo, fencing or any martial art at the Olympics because they are too boring, no flashy moves, too much protection, too much time grabbing each other without connecting a strike and so on. By the other hand, I also don't like MMA, there's a lack of technic, many of the fights are won by sitting over someone and punching the poor bastard in the face, it's like a kid's brawl.

Perhaps this is a movie way too far in the past for most of you guys to know or appreciate, it was the 80's and I was a teenager back then, but the first Karate Kid movie had some well-choreographed, human level, memorable fights in it. Even more delightful in that regard are Bruce Lee's movies. Talking about fights, to me at least, the essential thing is choreography. Most of the time, film makers fail, because the fights draw too much, a punch that could disable a man is barely felt and so on, they are plain cheesy.

A remarkable action sequence comes from the subtle balance of many things: money put on it, choreography, rhythm, a dose of realism and so on. Most of them fail to innovate, they rely on old formulae only, like car pursues and shooting sequences, you could change those scenes between movies and it would make no difference. However that can't be said of the opening action sequence of Deadpool, the first movie. That was awesome, yet unrealistic in many ways. There is also the remarkable fight sequence from Man of Steel that I mentioned before. To me it was breathtaking action, but unfortunately it failed to impress Neksus. By the other hand, I hated the action sequences from the latest Star Wars movies, while millions of others were delighted. The Chinese movies 00_unit likes so much in general have fight sequences that to my eyes are so absurd that I find them more amusing than amazing. Not that I have watched the ones you specifically mentioned, 00_unit. I'll try to have a look at them.

So, it is all down to personal preferences? Yes, unfortunately, but we can find some action scenes that are a consensus, that most of the educated audience liked. Being those movies from US, China, Japan, Europe or elsewhere.

By the way, I loved the Indian movie Bahubali https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baahubali:_The_Beginning and its sequel and there's nothing more unrealistic and cheesy than that movie :cheesygrin: My point is, you have to adjust your expectations to the kind of movie you are going to watch, and Battle Angel Alita movie, in overall, failed to meet mine.
Last edited by kamugin on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nem aquilo a que me entrego já me traz contentamento.

User avatar
00_unit
GIB
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by 00_unit » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:56 am

kamugin wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 am
jjaquinta wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:09 pm
You are smart to use words like better and feels authentic rather than realistic.
...
From this experience I would say: realistic is boring.
...
When it comes to cinema (or anime for that matter), you have to accept that your audience is not going to be composed of experts.
...
So Chinese movies are designed to please a Chinese audience. Western movies are designed to please a Western audience. If you are immersed in the style of Manga, then Chinese is probably going to feel "more authentic". The Alita movie was primarily made for a Western audience, and is going to use the tropes used to convey combat in Western films. So there is bound to be a disconnect between that and the comic. I don't think either are particularly realistic, so it is more a matter of expectations and taste. And that's fine. Realistic would be a lot more boring!
You have made some good points here, not that I agree to all of them.

"Realistic is boring". True most of the time but not always. I don't like to watch Judo, fencing or any martial art at the Olympics because they are too boring, no flashy moves, too much protection, too much time grabbing each other without connecting a strike and so on. By the other hand, I also don't like MMA, there's a lack of technic, many of the fights are won by sitting over someone and punching the poor bastard in the face, it's like a kid's brawl.

Perhaps this is a movie way too far in the past for most of you guys to know or appreciate, it was the 80's and I was a teenager back then, but the first Karate Kid movie had some well-choreographed, human level, memorable fights in it. Even more delightful in that regard are Bruce Lee's movies. Talking about fights, to me at least, the essential thing is choreography. Most of the time, film makers fail, because the fights draw too much, a punch that could disable a man is barely felt and so on, they are plain cheesy.

A remarkable action sequence comes from the subtle balance of many things: money put on it, choreography, rhythm, a dose of realism and so on. Most of them fail to innovate, they rely on old formulae only, like car pursues and shooting sequences, you could change then between movies and it would make no difference. However that can't be said of the opening action sequence of Deadpool, the first movie. That was awesome, yet unrealistic in many ways. There is also the remarkable fight sequence from Man of Steel that I mentioned before. To me it was breathtaking action, but unfortunately it failed to impress Neksus. By the other hand, I hated the action sequences from the latest Star Wars movies, while millions of others were delighted. The Chinese movies 00_unit likes so much in general have fight sequences that to my eyes are so absurd that I find them more amusing than amazing. Not that I have watched the ones you specifically mentioned, 00_unit. I'll try to have a look at them.

So, it is all down to personal preferences? Yes, unfortunately, but we can find some action scenes that are a consensus, that most of the educated audience liked. Being those movies from US, China, Japan, Europe or elsewhere.

By the way, I loved the Indian movie Bahubali https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baahubali:_The_Beginning and its sequel and there's nothing more unrealistic and cheesy than that movie :cheesygrin: My point is, you have to adjust your expectations to the kind of movie you are going to watch, and Battle Angel Alita movie, in overall, failed to meet mine.
Amsuing is not a bad feeling after all jackie chan movie is like action comedy and I like that everytime I watch his action I'm always grinning with laughter and excitement a rare but nice feeling for me

User avatar
jjaquinta
Deckman
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by jjaquinta » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:03 pm

kamugin wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 am
By the way, I loved the Indian movie Bahubali
BAAAAAHUUUUUUBAAAAAALIIIIIII!

That was a freaking awesome movie! The kids and I have watched it at least a half dozen times or so. Even my wife liked it. :-)

I highly recommend it to people as a good lesson in cultural expectations. It's a high budget, high fantasy film made by south Indians. Even if you have seen any or several Bollywood films it is unlikely you will be prepared for this. It is not a romantic comedy musical. (Only one musical number per film! But, as my friend pointed out, they are three hour films and you have to know when to go to the toilet!)

It is not designed for a Western audience. I needed a flowchart to really understand them multi-generational family relationships. But anyone who grew up with the Mahabharata wouldn't even blink at it. The heroism is... kind of odd. My daughter is fond of explaining it to her friends as "Indian Superheroes don't wear tights". The majestic CGI architecture is all sandstone and elephants. I've put it on in the "calm down" room at kid's parties and sat watching it with them sometimes. Typical reaction: "That's awesome! What happened?" And any time any animal appears, there are blinking subtitles proclaiming "CGI" so you know that no animal was hurt or even inconvenienced by the filming.

It's very clearly designed for a different cultural expectation. And, by its contrast, I have found it a really good education in just how much of a film is culturally defined.

AND it's a freaking awesome movie. :-)

This will give you a flavor of what their action scenes are like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLjEOhjquQ

User avatar
kamugin
Tipharean
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Nazi Brazil

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by kamugin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:06 am

jjaquinta wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:03 pm
But anyone who grew up with the Mahabharata wouldn't even blink at it.
The Mahabharata https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mahab ... 1989_film) is in my list of all-time favorite movies, but in spite of being about Indian mythology, it isn't Indian, it is a multinational production and the style is very different from Bahubali. The biggest resemblance is that it is also over five hours long. :shock:
Nem aquilo a que me entrego já me traz contentamento.

User avatar
Neksus
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by Neksus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:36 pm

i don't know why, but... :cheesygrin:
Image

User avatar
jjaquinta
Deckman
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by jjaquinta » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:35 am

My eagle eyed daughter noted that, in the movie, when we see Chiren prepped to "Go to Zalem", that the dismembered organs include a brain. :shock: I guess Cameron didn't read as far as "The Secret of Triphares".

Martin
Barjack soldier
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:11 am

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by Martin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:22 am

The secret of Tiphares is HANDS DOWN the biggest story POW in the series (all everything for me). I accept change but dang if I don't get the closed options via what we know about movie Nova.

User avatar
litchi master
Barjack soldier
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:48 pm
Location: France

Re: Alita: Battle Angel Movie - Spoiler Thread

Post by litchi master » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 am

@ jjaquinta kudos to her for noticing, I think some of us had already seen this detail, but I must admit it has puzzled me ever since.At first, i thought Rodriguez had just followed the ova and kept the scene fr its sohock value.(as the ova had been produced before Gunnm was finished, the people responsible for it couldn't possibly be aware of the secret of Zalem/tiphares) and because he has a soft spot for graphic scenes.
But the more I think about it, the more I believe there may be a reason for this mistake which could be explained later on.
maybe chiren actually survived and was recruited by nova, so this scene would be a red herring as a part of the audience would be fooled into thinking she had died, while fans like us would dismiss it as being inconsistent with the original and all would be equally surprised to see chiren back.
While the casual fans would be puzzled, we would understand immediately and claim we knew all along...
if this is indeed what Cameron and Rodriguez are going for that would be a clever twist!
Et le coureur à bout de force ... fut accuelli par une tempête de tollés!!!

Post Reply