BA Alita movie details

Your thoughts on the BAA universe. Anything can be posted here.

Moderator: crazyankan

the_maxx

BA Alita movie details

Post by the_maxx » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:04 pm

http://www.joblo.com/battle-angel-details

This is an article I just found at joblo.com, aparently, Cameron's movie has its preproduction in the making, parallel to Avatar, so it would not be delayed too much

moooV
Tipharean

Post by moooV » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:51 pm

The page linked above consisted this link:
http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/03/j ... pdate.html

Looks awesome, especially 1st entry of the list.

But...
Text from spoiler on that page:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Source #3: **SPOILER ALERT** - Probably the biggest, most expensive and memorable scene in "Battle Angel" - highlight white text below to be enlightened!

The Act 2 /Act 3 break is amazing. Battle Angel is on top of a roof with the ENTIRE city being overlooked - sweeping 3D vistas! She is being chased so she jumps off of the roof and plays toad on each car on the way down - the cars are flying! There are explosions, bullets flying and cars exploding all while people are driving. My source says most of the budget for the movie has gotta be blown right here on this sequence!! It is going to demand the best that the crews can deliver to get this right and Cameron is Mr. Perfectionist so I am drooling already.

**SPOILER ALERT** Highlight the white text above to view.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

What the fcuk is this o_0:
1) on each car on the way down - the cars are flying! --- WHAT CARS??? THERE WAS ONLY ONE CAR in V5, but not in V1-V3...
"flying"... - this CONFLICTS with the whole CONCEPT of Gunnm.

2)bullets flying and cars exploding all while people are driving.
Where the fcuk did the bullets come from??? o_0
Cars exploding??? - O_O
PEOPLE DRIVING??? - x_x

With all this above how can "and Cameron is Mr. Perfectionist" - it's not perfection, it's misinterpretation of the WHOLE idea...
It disappoints...
ac8dad43d497508fe83d143ee096c252

Meh

Post by Meh » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30 pm

Boo, no flying, no bullets, tis outlawed!

O.P.

Post by O.P. » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Hmm, sounds like a hoax to me.

I remember reading somewhere that they're aiming for a PG-13 rating. That would mean:

* No Makaku (definitely not eating brains anyway).
* No stealing of backbones.
* Zapan story-line seriously nerfed.
* No Nova lab in future installments.
* Tons of other stuff also go.

I think I'll wait a year or so before forming an opinion.

ganku

Post by ganku » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:47 pm

i just remember all other (western) real movie sequels of great manga storys ... and dont want to know about this one.

denzacar
Barjack soldier

Post by denzacar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Actress to play Alita decided? Good for her. Comparing her to the next Arnold (like, before Terminator) is a tad silly if we recall just how big a star Andy Serkis became after doing Golum.
Granted, a cute girl might fare little better but still... she will be there only cause Cameron needs something to take motion capture from.

But this bellow is the most idiotic and potentially (if true) the most "this movie will suck more than Jenna" news so far.
Source #3: **SPOILER ALERT** - Probably the biggest, most expensive and memorable scene in "Battle Angel" - highlight white text below to be enlightened!

The Act 2 /Act 3 break is amazing. Battle Angel is on top of a roof with the ENTIRE city being overlooked - sweeping 3D vistas! She is being chased so she jumps off of the roof and plays toad on each car on the way down - the cars are flying! There are explosions, bullets flying and cars exploding all while people are driving. My source says most of the budget for the movie has gotta be blown right here on this sequence!! It is going to demand the best that the crews can deliver to get this right and Cameron is Mr. Perfectionist so I am drooling already.

Flying cars? WTF? o_O?

WHAT F-IN FLYING CARS?!! There is NO flying under and around Tiphares/Salem. Also - no guns and/or bullets.
Only flying and shooting is being done by Tipharean or Factory agents or bots.

Also... cars...
There are almost no cars in Scrapyard. Why? Because there are no regulated streets.
Only time we see cars/trucks is either outside of Srapyard or on the outer gates going to and from farms.

Adding "bullets flying and cars exploding all while people are driving" is like deciding to make Star Wars more realistic by having Jedi ride horses. You know... make it more... westerny like.
Or dressing up the Enterprise crew in leather coats and 500$ sunglasses, strapping them up with some Uzis and have them do the limbo dodging phaser fire to make it more appealing to the Matrix crowd.

If any of that stuff that "source No. 3" mentions is true, and Cameron is willing to just dump that shit into the story for the sake of the "Holy 3D CG" and "Sacred 10 mil. $US per second Action Sequence" - fcuk that.
I've been waiting for this movie to come out for the last... I don't know... how many years ago was it that first news of Cameron owning the rights came out?
But if THAT is what we will be getting - fcuk 3D.
Don't care if it is like a fcukin' holodeck AND you get a complimentary blowjob AND a damascus blade with every ticket.

If the story matters so little compared to the "added 3D action appeal", then its just another finely sculpted, wrapped in silk and tied with solid gold ribbons - piece of shit.

P.S. No IMAX or any other 3D cinema where I live. I've been planing to go to another country, across a couple of borders to watch this movie if it is ANY good.
Got me a piggy bank years ago and made a ritual out of putting 1 Euro inside every month and 10 on each birthday - for tickets and traveling expenses to the nearest 3D cinema should the movie ever come out.
You know... keeping the hope alive. There should be a hundred or two inside by now.

I guess if Cameron makes this into a "Battle Angel Reloaded - Episode I, Attack of the Cyborgs" I'll have some disposable cash laying around.
Maybe I should use it to buy a gun? I'll sure need something to kill all the idiots that will come up to me saying "Have you seen that new Cameron movie? Didn't it just fuckin rock?!"
But look around you ...
Death and Light are everywhere, always, and they begin, end, strive,
attend, into and upon the Dream of the Nameless that is the world,
burning words within Samsara, perhaps to create a thing of beauty.

moooV
Tipharean

Post by moooV » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:16 pm

+1000, the only thing they (Cameron and his team) are thinking of is MONEY. More,more money,precious money... If it goes this way, he will take an idea and make a shit if it, just to have money from people going to cinemas...
If he wants money, let him make Terminator 4, it is a brand already, he will make money.

In my opinion, there are only 2 ways to make a movie from such thing - make EXACTLY like in original source, or better not to make anything, because someone will come and make a MASTERPIECE of a souce.

I don't (and, I guess, noone does) want it to become a shit... don't want him to make it PG13... they always take a concept and put lots of shit in it (vot pezdets scuko, pidaras) just because it will look some different from source, but ruining all of it...

Just remember BAA anime... ONE BIG SHIT... everything is changed... this awaits us in a movie... fcuk...

Twitchywrote
GIB

Post by Twitchywrote » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:17 am

[quote="

Just remember BAA anime... ONE BIG SHIT... everything is changed... this awaits us in a movie... fcuk...[/quote]

Oh, come on! It wasn't that bad!

moooV
Tipharean

Post by moooV » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:23 pm

After reading manga, it's not just bad, it's a shame on people who made it.

spacey
Deckman

Post by spacey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 pm

O.P. wrote:Hmm, sounds like a hoax to me.

I remember reading somewhere that they're aiming for a PG-13 rating. That would mean:

* No Makaku (definitely not eating brains anyway).
* No stealing of backbones.
* Zapan story-line seriously nerfed.
* No Nova lab in future installments.
* Tons of other stuff also go.

I think I'll wait a year or so before forming an opinion.
The PG-13 rating has to be a hoax. Alita is very brutal and I would probably expect it adults only and most probably for 16. Alita for kiddies is ridiculous. Just to imagine these kiddies wanted to buy the manga afterwards :?

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:00 pm

such a waste :(
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)
Corporations have no soul to save, and they have no body to incarcerate. (Baron Thurlow)

Chrome
Deckman

Post by Chrome » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:20 pm

I think it's a hoax.... Mostly because Kishiro himself is working on the project aswell. I hope he didn't sign a contract where Cameron can screw over the storyline as he desires.

Also, a complete CG scene over a year before the movie's release? Complete bullcrap. The earliest you can have finished CG scenes like that is about 6 months or so before - That's because the first teasers will be released. And the first scenes to get rendered are the teaser scenes. There is *no way in hell* they would even TRY to finish any CG scene so early on.

I call shenannigans on this.

denzacar
Barjack soldier

Post by denzacar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:12 pm

spacey wrote: The PG-13 rating has to be a hoax. Alita is very brutal and I would probably expect it adults only and most probably for 16. Alita for kiddies is ridiculous. Just to imagine these kiddies wanted to buy the manga afterwards :?
Two things...

First, it may ALL be a hoax. I don't thrust/believe in "insiders" no more than I believe the detergent commercials.
Also, MOST of Cameron's movies are rated R. Even True Lies. Why? No idea. All that sex that DIDN'T happen?
So, chances are it will be R.
No pun intended.

Second... You CAN make a decent action scene filled movie even if it is PG-13.
X-men? All PG-13. Even the one where Wolverine stabs all those SWATs. How?
Supposedly, "wounds were not necessarily fatal" and there was no blood.

You can spill hectoliters of purple or white blood on screen and still be PG-13.
Also, cursing, smoking and drug and alcohol use are minimal or non-existent.

Now...
# A reference to drugs, such as marijuana, usually gets a movie a PG-13 rating at a minimum. A well known example of an otherwise PG movie getting a PG-13 for a drug reference (momentary, along with brief language) is Whale Rider. The film contained only mild profanity but received a PG-13 because of a scene where drug paraphernalia was briefly visible. Critic Roger Ebert criticized the MPAA for the rating and called it "a wild overreaction."
# A graphic or explicit scene of illegal drug use will earn a film at least a PG-13 rating (such as Ray, where Ray Charles uses heroin and marijuana) and, especially in the case of hard drugs, even an R rating. In extremely rare cases, extremely graphic scenes of hard drug use will get a film an NC-17 (see Trainspotting, rated R for graphic heroin use and resulting depravity, strong language, sex, nudity and some violence).
# In May 2007, the MPAA announced that depictions of cigarette smoking would be considered in a film's rating.
Violence which includes bloodshed will usually receive a PG-13 or R rating. It does depend on how long the blood is actually shown and how much of it. Bloodless violence will usually be rated PG or PG-13 (eg. Alien vs. Predator, the unrated version contains the same content as the PG-13 version in terms of violence however, every violent scene includes bloodshed; the same thing happened with Pearl Harbor in which explicit gunshot wounds and violence were added to get an R-rating on the DVD director's cut.) The anime Appleseed has PG-13 level violence. However, there was a scene of a mecha crushing a man's head, with resulting blood. The MPAA rated it R for "some violence". It should be noted that in the UK, it was rated 12A and in Spain it was rated 13. But the sequel, Appleseed Saga: Ex Machina, has been rated PG-13 for "action/violence and brief strong language". Likewise Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country contained a scene where a number of Klingons were massacred in a zero gravity environment with copious bloodshed. Despite this bloodshed, the Klingon blood was pink, and thus the film was given a PG rating.
So... If you make all that brain eating in the beginning of the story about violence and not drugs, and you don't explicitly show it - you can get away with a brain tartar or two.
I think it's a hoax.... Mostly because Kishiro himself is working on the project aswell. I hope he didn't sign a contract where Cameron can screw over the storyline as he desires.

Also, a complete CG scene over a year before the movie's release? Complete bullcrap. The earliest you can have finished CG scenes like that is about 6 months or so before - That's because the first teasers will be released. And the first scenes to get rendered are the teaser scenes. There is *no way in hell* they would even TRY to finish any CG scene so early on.

I call shenannigans on this.
Ummm... last time I checked - Kishiro will have zero involvement in the making of the movie.
Also, there is no mention of finished scenes. Only DESCRIBED scenes. In the script.
But look around you ...

Gruik

Post by Gruik » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:56 pm

It will be total crap, definitely.

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am

i renew what i said on the older thread in another section :

you should take what there is to take and leave the rest. if you keep focusing on the flaws, while the movie isn't even in shooting stage, you'll get deceived.

on a personnal matter, if there is at least one aerial scrapyard and zalem panoramic view, on a cinema screen it will be awesome and i'll be satisfied.

if there is more, cool ! but there is a few "double page panels" that i DO want to see animated, and they are quite simple to do with modern technics, so they should be there. fights scene will be ... errr let's trust cameron on this. but i don't really care, the fights are incredibly detailed in my head :P

you surely know that all movies based on novels or comics or books are mostly crap, LOTR was a rather good one (epic visuals) while all xmen were crap, according to "those who knows" (i only saw the first one, knowing nothing of US comics, and for me it was just another FX movie)

i'll give you an personal example : i did read the LOTR's work-in-progress spoils, for example i saw a pic of the movie, Christopher Lee/Saruman on green screen in a very specific position ( ;) ) and it was only included in the extended version of the third movie !
i KNEW the scene was there, i was frustrated when i discovered it was not included in the first, short, theater version. but still, i got over it and cried at the very end of the third movie :'( :)
so all in all, even if drastic changes were done to the story telling, i took what was there : New Zealand is Middle Earth, everything is right in the place, even added not-in-the-book scenes were nice ideas ...
i, as one of many tolkien's enthousiasts , was satisfied.

i'll take thie BAA movie in this state of mind, i will enjoy the good parts, and just criticize the rest :) at least i'll try if i'm not too stoned for that :P

and even if the movie is perfect (which will not happen), this will NEVER be exactly as we imagined in our head ... so just enjoy the good parts of it, a theater ticket is less expensive than a BAA retail volume after all ;)

if the movie ever come to theater in west countries :( :( :( otherwise, we'll have to cope with dvdrip or even theater records :(
Corporations have no soul to save, and they have no body to incarcerate. (Baron Thurlow)

hepar
GIB

Post by hepar » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:01 pm

HumanRage wrote:if the movie ever come to theater in west countries :( :( :(
Why should it not?

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:26 pm

In US maybe yes, but i don't think Cameron's name will be enough for the movie to be distributed in lot of theaters ...

denzacar
Barjack soldier

Post by denzacar » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:45 pm

HumanRage wrote:In US maybe yes, but i don't think Cameron's name will be enough for the movie to be distributed in lot of theaters ...
You mean that words like "From the Director of Titanic... Terminator 1...and 2...Aliens... and Avatar" spoken in the Pablo Francisco style WON'T bring people into theaters?
In June?

I'm not even calling for little faith here...
I'm like... there is pessimistic... and then there is realistic.
Crap or class - people will go and see it. And the sequels.
But look around you ...

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:23 am

let's hope, but as long as i can see it in my city, i'm fine

denzacar
Barjack soldier

Post by denzacar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:02 pm

I newer thought that I was gonna say this but - GO DISNEY!
But look around you ...

tcd

Post by tcd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:23 pm

denzacar wrote:I newer thought that I was gonna say this but - GO DISNEY!
:roll: :?: :shock: :?: :roll:

I might be feeling more dense than usual... But I have to ask... what has to do Disney with Alita???

crazyankan
Crazy Editor!

Post by crazyankan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 am

"Pixar movies(Disney owns them) will be released in 3-D starting next year"

Battle Angel Alita movie are going be filmed in 3-D also.

So the technology for making those movies are here now :)

Some sweet holgram videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcfNC_x0VvE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-k5nt541SE0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C_4Nkw4MswM

denzacar
Barjack soldier

Post by denzacar » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:56 pm

tcd wrote:
denzacar wrote:I newer thought that I was gonna say this but - GO DISNEY!
:roll: :?: :shock: :?: :roll:

I might be feeling more dense than usual... But I have to ask... what has to do Disney with Alita???
There was always the matter of the number of available 3D cinemas when Alita movie comes out.

It is a rather safe bet, that if Disney/Pixar decide to go 3D, there will be a lot more 3D cinemas around in the next couple of years.
One can always trust the greed of the little white-gloves-wearing mouse. :P

So... when movie comes out, there will be ready infrastructure to present the movie the way it should be presented.
But look around you ...

denzacar
Barjack soldier

Cameron Speaks about stereoscopic 3D filming

Post by denzacar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:39 pm

But look around you ...

Cailon
Tipharean

Post by Cailon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:25 pm

I read about the half of the text but it was very interesting. Only that I dont understand all the technical stuff.
But its clear, that he has a concrete vision of 3D, thats good. And also, Avatar will be in 3D too (I didn't know that). So he can try out a bit with this 3D stuff, to make a perfect Battle Angel afterwards. ;)

I just stopped at one line: Why is he referring to a cyborg? changing history? killing a waitress? That comes so out of thin air, it must be a hint at BAA or what?
Does that mean we will get some flashbacks to good old Yoko and her assassination attempt?