Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Your thoughts on the BAA universe. Anything can be posted here.

Moderator: crazyankan

User avatar
crazyankan
Crazy Editor!
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:30 pm
Location: Tiphares/Sweden

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by crazyankan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:45 am

The Smurfs 3D got really great reviews.
But I hate the trailer and how the natives looks like.
Image

User avatar
xieveral
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:55 am

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by xieveral » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:10 am

They are putting Avatar toys in Mc Donald's happy meals... *sigh* I can only see film this failing horribly in the box office rankings after the first week or two. We've got a little under a week to see if this movie will be a success or utter failure.

Knowing full well that if they tried to make BAA appeal to children, the film would be crap I would still buy any happy meal toys along with any other toy lines put out as a result of the movie. Ashamed to admit that but there's just not enough merchandise in the form of toys for it aside from the hard-to-find marmit dolls and the figure that came with AS ~_~;

User avatar
moooV
Tipharean
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by moooV » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:03 pm

I've listened to this podcast, and JC sounds not so bad... I've even started respecting him more. :shock:
16:20; James Cameron On BATTLE ANGEL: "I am not even sure that I am going to do that film". And he has no one in mind for casting.
That's an incredibly good news for me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knowing full well that if they tried to make BAA appeal to children, the film would be crap I would still buy any happy meal toys along with any other toy lines put out as a result of the movie. Ashamed to admit that but there's just not enough merchandise in the form of toys for it aside from the hard-to-find marmit dolls and the figure that came with AS ~_~;
I fear that too. I've heard that he was aiming for the PG-13 rating for the BAA, that's a catastrophe! BAA has to be PG-21, it contans gore and nudity. If he strips that away from it, then it'll be a failure!
Also, I don't want to see the hype about the BAA!
Everywhere I go I see avatar hype now! Even on the TV, in the news, on the streets, in the metro, on the bus! EVERYWHERE!
This shouldn't happen to the BAA!
ac8dad43d497508fe83d143ee096c252

User avatar
DDTL
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by DDTL » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Int 29Ah wrote:
16:20; James Cameron On BATTLE ANGEL: "I am not even sure that I am going to do that film". And he has no one in mind for casting.
That's an incredibly good news for me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I knew you will be happy :mrgreen:

Anyway, I don't care about the Avatar hype because the movie itself seems to be awesome, according to 95% of reviewers (contrary to Transformers or Twilight, the two main other "hype" movies of 2009)
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!

User avatar
Sergio Nova
Künstler
Posts: 2890
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: São Paulo or Valles Marineris

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Sergio Nova » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:54 pm

DDTL wrote: Anyway, I don't care about the Avatar hype because the movie itself seems to be awesome, according to 95% of reviewers (contrary to Transformers or Twilight, the two main other "hype" movies of 2009)
I know I will sound intolerant, but the simple idea of filming something like Transformers in unacceptable. It is good to make money, certainly, but I cannot understand how that is possible (again, average audience…). It is the sort of production that I have not seen, will never see, and have already disliked.

User avatar
Dharko
Barjack soldier
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:06 am
Location: Chile
Contact:

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Dharko » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm

DDTL wrote:
Anyway, I don't care about the Avatar hype because the movie itself seems to be awesome, according to 95% of reviewers (contrary to Transformers or Twilight, the two main other "hype" movies of 2009)
Transformers or Twilight hype movies.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Sergio Nova
Künstler
Posts: 2890
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: São Paulo or Valles Marineris

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Sergio Nova » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:00 pm

Dharko wrote: Transformers or Twilight hype movies.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
God save freedom of speech! :!: :| :| :| :|

User avatar
DDTL
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by DDTL » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:29 am

Dharko wrote:
DDTL wrote:
Anyway, I don't care about the Avatar hype because the movie itself seems to be awesome, according to 95% of reviewers (contrary to Transformers or Twilight, the two main other "hype" movies of 2009)
Transformers or Twilight hype movies.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes.
Transformers is a hype movie for average male teenagers, because of cars, fights, boobs and explosions (and fat jokes)
Twilight is a hype movie for average female teenagers, because of Edwaaaaaaaaaard and love story (ironically, the writer of the novel is a mormon...)
These (certainly crappy) movies have made big successes, despite the awful reviews.

Like Sergio, I haven't see these movies, I don't want to see these movies and I already hate theses movies. :|
Sergio, you say that Cameron has no talent... Well, I suggest you to take a look at Michael Bay's movies, personally, I have seen Armageddon, The Rock, The Island, Pearl Harbor, and trust me it is enough for having an idea. Direction (during the action scenes, you wonder if the cameraman is not an epileptic parkinsonian), actor playing and dialogs are REALLY awful. The only "good" (at least for me) Michael Bay movie is The Island... because of the main concept (the clones, why not ?), but not at all because of the direction which ruins 1/3 of the movie. :evil:
After that, I'm sure that in comparison you will think that James Cameron is one of the most talented director in the world :mrgreen:
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!

User avatar
Dharko
Barjack soldier
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:06 am
Location: Chile
Contact:

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Dharko » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:15 am

Sergio wrote:
Dharko wrote: Transformers or Twilight hype movies.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
God save freedom of speech! :!: :| :| :| :|

Hey!! Why so Int29Ah??

ups!! Edited: Why so Serious?? [This remember me an excellent dark movie... I don´t remember its name...]

With the last declarations, I think J.C. will take 10 years more to begin to make [if he makes it] Gunnm movie, so, I don´t care Avatar anymore, Just I´ll watch it for the inertia...

@DDTL: How do You hate something that you don't know or haven´t see yet? :mrgreen:

User avatar
Sergio Nova
Künstler
Posts: 2890
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: São Paulo or Valles Marineris

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Sergio Nova » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:19 am

Armaggedom and The Rock were enough. I need NOT see anything else.

Just now I remembered a new (and talented) director: Zack Snyder.

Dharko, something like Transformers is easy to be hated. If you have ever seen the cartoon…
As I said before, the simple idea of filming it is associated with money only.
I have nothing against making money, I just defend taste.

User avatar
moooV
Tipharean
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by moooV » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:52 am

Sergio wrote:Just now I remembered a new (and talented) director: Zack Snyder.
His Watchmen are incredible! :D
ac8dad43d497508fe83d143ee096c252

User avatar
DDTL
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by DDTL » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Int 29Ah wrote:
Sergio wrote:Just now I remembered a new (and talented) director: Zack Snyder.
His Watchmen are incredible! :D
Well, I have really enjoyed the movie, after that I have discover the comic book, and I definitely prefer the comic book. The action scenes in the movie are finally too much exaggerated, with too much slow motion for too much powerful punches (some fight look like Matrix !), compared to the comic book. And the character of Ozymandias is not very respected I think, far more interesting in the comic book. For the other things, the movie is maybe too much faithful to the book, like a copy/paste of the drawing and dialogs... But it is still a very good movie, far away from other blockbusters, just too bad it hasn't make a lot of money.
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!

User avatar
Gallygun
Deckman
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Gallygun » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:00 pm

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/12/14/av ... daptation/

James talks about Battle Angel.

No idea what to think about this, other than I'm glad he's got a "great script" and a year of production behind it. =)

I'm glad people are still nagging him about it as well.
I <3 Zekka
I<3 Sechs
I <3 Alita

User avatar
Sergio Nova
Künstler
Posts: 2890
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: São Paulo or Valles Marineris

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Sergio Nova » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:55 pm

DDTL wrote:Well, I have really enjoyed the movie, after that I have discover the comic book, and I definitely prefer the comic book. The action scenes in the movie are finally too much exaggerated, with too much slow motion for too much powerful punches (some fight look like Matrix !), compared to the comic book. And the character of Ozymandias is not very respected I think, far more interesting in the comic book. For the other things, the movie is maybe too much faithful to the book, like a copy/paste of the drawing and dialogs... But it is still a very good movie, far away from other blockbusters, just too bad it hasn't make a lot of money.
1. The graphic novel is Alan Moore's; thus, it was already born a classic.
2. The film (it is certainly more than an ordinary "movie") was succesful in showing Rorschach, what was considered by many (I included) impossible. As far as I can say, his voice is exactly the one I imagined. Something existing in imagination, but impossible to be filmed… until someone made it.
3. Ozymandias was changed, unfortunately, because Snyder considered that he had to change the end of the story once the Cold War had ended. Bullshit! The Cold War has NEVER ended, and the story should have been told as it had been created, anyway. Masterpieces must NOT be changed.
4. Copy/paste? That IS the great secret. Robert Rodriguez made the same when filming Sin City. A certain pair of criminals destroyed another work by Alan Moore: V for Vendetta - in my (not so) humble opinion, his best work, although many critics do prefer Watchmen. As to the Wachowski brothers, they should have been executed after such a heinous crime. Before that I was against capital punishment.
5. Of course it has NOT made a lot of money. It would help culture if good products were accepted.

In the end I liked the film, but I insist he should have preserved the original conclusion.

User avatar
DDTL
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by DDTL » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Well Sergio, I have read parts of a previous Watchmen script written in 1989, and I call tell you that we have avoided the worst ^^
http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/wtchmn.txt
In this one, The Minutemen have totally disappeared, The Comedian loses his personality, Ozymandias becomes a simple serial villain...
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!

User avatar
Sergio Nova
Künstler
Posts: 2890
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: São Paulo or Valles Marineris

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Sergio Nova » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:38 pm

That script was supposed to be filmed by Terry Gilliam. He gave up, saying that it was impossible to film Watchmen. As I said, Zack Snyder made the impossible (and I am just quoting Terry Gilliam) :)

User avatar
Cailon
Tipharean
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: germany

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Cailon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:31 pm

However, I liked "12 Monkeys" and "Brazil" very much. Seeing this kinda cyber-punkish, kafkaesk style of Gilliam, I bet he would've done a great Watchmen version, maybe an even better one. One without slow motion just for the eye candy. The thing with Gilliam is, when his project's didn't work out, it's often the company's fault for not providing enough money. And I'm very eager for his new film (or will it just be a movie?^^), "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus".

But anyway, don't get me wrong. Watchmen was the best comic adaption since ever or at least to my knowledge (I've seen many but not all). But to be frank: its mostly because the comic itself is more than top notch, Snyder only made the panels walk.
I'm really not into comics at all but to my knowledge no other superhero comic has ever surpassed this story, because the theory of the masked men is thought through to the end. Period. Every other superhero comic should've taken Watchmen as a straightedge, but they didn't. Batman is always the rich guy who fights the bad guys and superman will always be Mr. Muscle, fighting the evil ones and the government never really does something against their vigilantism (be it eligible or not).

And, I tried the comic after seeing the film but I could not finish it. The story is great, ok, but the style absolutely wasn't my cup of tea. So here I am, as the example of a man who'd watch the BAA movie. Say the movie will be awesome and say I'll find it awesome. I'll take the manga, try it, but I won't like it. Presumably.

User avatar
Megan_Gale
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:09 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Megan_Gale » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:26 pm

Well!
Glad I don't have to go vote with my dollar/sink ten bucks to see CGi cat people tell me the story of Dances With Wolves.

I'm less than comfortable with James Cameron's ability to oversee Battle Angel the Movie, mainly because of this nugget I found on Wikipedia:

Alita will be a CG character with the photographic likeness of a young, 14 year old girl. The actress portraying Alita, however, will be an adult, who is not yet identified by the studio. Her character will appear nude in many scenes, so performance capture CG imagery will be the only logical way to portray such a young character in this manner without violating child pornography laws.

...so the film has been boiling on the back burner for years because WE ABSOLUTELY CANNOT DO WITHOUT SUGGESTIVE NUDE SHOTS OF A CYBORG?!
Where were these sequences where it was UTTERLY CRUCIAL to the plot that Alita couldn't have been shown from the side, or neck-up, or WEARING SOMETHING--- ANYTHING?!

Yup, I'm 100% confident Cameron will have his directorial priorities straight in adapting one of the least gratuitously cheesecakey action manga starring a mechanical female ever.
I mean, you take away the fan service from Battle Angel, what do you have left???
Oh wait.
EVERYTHING.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I don't know if the billions will survive/ But I'll believe in God when one and one are five

Milliardo
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Avatar

Post by Milliardo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:45 am

rest easy my friends, the movie was truly an movie of epic proportions. its the best movie i have seen in a long time.

i have good faith in James camron for BAA now. if you haven't seen it i suggest you go watch it. nothing like watching it in the movies....

Moved your thread to the avatar movie discussion. //CrazyA

User avatar
Sam
GIB
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Fr

Re: Avatar

Post by Sam » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:37 pm

I totally agree with you.
Actually, the story is a basic American-saving-the-world story, like Int29AH already said it, but there are some more subtlety that get the story a little bit more interesting.
However, the movie and especially in 3D is really awesome and beautiful. You should go to see it if you like watching beautiful things, that i'm sure you are, you already like BAA design!

If Cameron's gonna make BA movie, I think I will be a little disappointed if the story is a shit but I will not be for images quality.

You should stop thinking to much, just go and see it.

User avatar
Gallygun
Deckman
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Avatar

Post by Gallygun » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:27 pm

I am really glad to hear this, especially since JC said he might do Battle Angel soon on an MTV interview, "Just add water" he said (lightly, grant you).
:D
I <3 Zekka
I<3 Sechs
I <3 Alita

User avatar
DDTL
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Avatar

Post by DDTL » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:25 pm

Sam wrote:I totally agree with you.
Actually, the story is a basic American-saving-the-world story, like Int29AH already said it, but there are some more subtlety that get the story a little bit more interesting.
What ? American-saving-the-world ? Have you really seen the movie ? The US (or Western civilization if you prefer) are clearly the bad guys !

Seen today, in 2D. Very good movie, too short for me. The story is classical and the characters quite cliché, but it was okay for me !
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!

User avatar
Sam
GIB
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Fr

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by Sam » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 pm

What ? American-saving-the-world ? Have you really seen the movie ? The US (or Western civilization if you prefer) are clearly the bad guys !
I don't want to say too much for those who haven't seen the movie yet!!

I think in 2D you lost an important part of immersion in the movie. The experience has to be lived.

User avatar
DDTL
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by DDTL » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:52 am

Sam wrote:
What ? American-saving-the-world ? Have you really seen the movie ? The US (or Western civilization if you prefer) are clearly the bad guys !
I don't want to say too much for those who haven't seen the movie yet!!

I think in 2D you lost an important part of immersion in the movie. The experience has to be lived.
The problem is that I have no choice. I am currently in the north of Norway, and the closest 3D theaters are... in the south of the country. So it is 2D or nothing... :cry:

And a good movie should be good even in 2D... :mrgreen:
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!

kvhokuto
Deckman
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:18 am

Re: Avatar Movie Trailer is out.

Post by kvhokuto » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:01 pm

Ok I take back anything bad I said about this movie, I still fucken hate furries but avatar was seriously badass. I have complete faith in camerons ability to do a truly worthy gunnm film the man knows what he's doing.

Post Reply