Cameron's Upcoming Projects aka Gunnm's film

Your thoughts on the BAA universe. Anything can be posted here.

Moderator: crazyankan

Gallygun
Deckman

Re: Cameron's Upcoming Projects aka Gunnm's film

Post by Gallygun » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:16 am

Noxbru wrote:Hi, maybe some of you will like these news, or not... I don't know what to think about. As I have found at MarketSaw:

[...]Will AVATAR 2 be James Cameron's next picture? The answer is... we don't know yet.[...] One thing is pretty much written in stone though - BATTLE ANGEL is back-burnered. It will either be THE DIVE or AVATAR 2 at this point.

Source: MarketSaw
It made me so mad to read that! ANd disappointed. I wish he would just sell the rights to it so an anime could be made! :evil:
I <3 Zekka
I<3 Sechs
I <3 Alita

moooV
Tipharean

Post by moooV » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:10 am

BATTLE ANGEL is back-burnered
Justice! Sweet juicy justice! :D

I really hope that's true.

I wish he would just sell the rights to it so an anime could be made! :evil:
The most reasonable thing I see is to buy the rights and just hold them to ensure that nothing will happen to the masterpiece!
ac8dad43d497508fe83d143ee096c252

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:52 pm

i'm waiting this film for like 10 years, FUCK :evil:

I WANT to see scrapyard view from zalem, want to see zalem view from scrapyard, hell i could even try the 3D shit for a time :evil:
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)
Corporations have no soul to save, and they have no body to incarcerate. (Baron Thurlow)

litchi master
Barjack soldier

Post by litchi master » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:02 pm

there are more like you? Brazil is a more dangerous country than I thought. :D
Sergio I thought you were one of a kind. lol

i admit I am a bit disapointed too Avatar made me look forward to it. it also means that with more time the movie can only be better benefittng from the latest technologies and maybe a better scenario. Well that's what I hope. But I admit I am a bit relieved too, the prospect of obnoxious kids is floating away.
I am in an utterly ambivalent state of mind.
Et le coureur à bout de force ... fut accuelli par une tempête de tollés!!!

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:39 am

lol @ "cameron" and "better scenario" in the same sentence :P

he knows how to do great shows, not stories. but he is indeed good at that

il sait faire le pestacle ;)
Corporations have no soul to save, and they have no body to incarcerate. (Baron Thurlow)

Noxbru

Post by Noxbru » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:09 am

Some news via Anime News Network. It seems that Cameron will be doing BAA at last... but after doing AVATAR 2. So, the films that Cameron do will be: something, AVATAR 2 and then BAA.

Source: ANN

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:48 am

sounds familiar :D

Noxbru

Post by Noxbru » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:12 am

Yeah, I know... but at least is some info about the film and when it should be done. Of course, Mr Cameron will decide after doing Avatar 2 that he is too old and wants finished Avatar 3 before he dies... so, some more years waiting.

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:31 am

@Noxbru: Until you have any proof of such a statement, all you are vehemently exclaiming is nothing but hearsay and is the same sort of pessimistic hype that one would expect from a potentially febrile BAA fan after seeing the completed BAA film.

I don't know which is worse, the "potential" of fans without any respect for the original work, or the utterly pessimistic BAA fans who spew nonsenses about how Cameron is about to croak and therefore needs to push a cash cow before his death.

TheNefariousImp

Post by TheNefariousImp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:27 am

I don't understand the pessimism regarding Cameron making an Avatar film. I would rather him make it and get the series in the limelight so that we might actually see a decent printing in the U.S. I really dislike the cheapo Viz prints compared to the original Japanese printing which is on high quality stock paper and also about 5 bucks cheaper per volume.

It would also be nice to see it reach more people as it is such an excellent series that is often overlooked in a market over-saturated by mediocre Japanese series that are shoveled in by the publishers.

Gallygun
Deckman

Post by Gallygun » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:26 pm

TheNefariousImp wrote:I don't understand the pessimism regarding Cameron making an Avatar film. I would rather him make it and get the series in the limelight so that we might actually see a decent printing in the U.S. I really dislike the cheapo Viz prints compared to the original Japanese printing which is on high quality stock paper and also about 5 bucks cheaper per volume.

It would also be nice to see it reach more people as it is such an excellent series that is often overlooked in a market over-saturated by mediocre Japanese series that are shoveled in by the publishers.
Couldn't agree with you more! I received Another Stories in Japanese with my Gally figure, and it was such better quality that the Viz Media Editions! One time I went into a bookstore and saw LO 6, with half of Alita's face CUT OFF on the spine of the book, where her face should be fully visible! They don't treat LO very well, especially compared to Naruto, Black Lagoon, Bleach, and all the other crap that they shovel out (though I hear Black Lagoon is good).

The manga will always be #1 in my heart, but a movie trilogy and a GREAT anime of LO (like FMA quality) would be fantastic!
I <3 Zekka
I<3 Sechs
I <3 Alita

Sergio Nova
Künstler

Post by Sergio Nova » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Gallygun wrote:They don't treat LO very well, especially compared to Naruto, Black Lagoon, Bleach, and all the other crap that they shovel out (though I hear Black Lagoon is good).
Yes, Black Lagoon is pretty good! As to Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and the like, I do not waste my precious time!

Gallygun
Deckman

Post by Gallygun » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/03/01/ja ... of-series/

Ha ha. I guess that the first movie will focus on Motorball. THAT IS TERRIBLE!

The Motorball Part of the series was, IMO, the worst, though not terrible. They also say that They are trying to "pick and choose" which parts of the nine-volume manga to put in. BLAH.

He'd better include the Hunter Warrior parts, and obviously THE WHOLE SERIES of novels.

I am a bit disappointed with this. =(
I <3 Zekka
I<3 Sechs
I <3 Alita

DDTL

Post by DDTL » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Gallygun wrote:http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/03/01/ja ... of-series/

Ha ha. I guess that the first movie will focus on Motorball. THAT IS TERRIBLE!
Nooo ! Although I like the motorball part, it is clearly the less interesting arc of Gunnm. Why not focus on the love story between Gally/Alita and Yugo ? Much much much more interesting... and even more "commercial". Focusing on motorball is a weird choice, and not the best...

I hope it is just a kind of extrapolation !
TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:51 am

Hey guys, motorball means Jashugan :idea:

moooV
Tipharean

Post by moooV » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 am

HumanRage wrote:Hey guys, motorball means Jashugan :idea:
Which, in return means Arnold Schwarzenegger. :x

I'm SO disappointed!
ac8dad43d497508fe83d143ee096c252

Sergio Nova
Künstler

Post by Sergio Nova » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 am

Int 29Ah wrote: Which, in return means Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The governor who believes in capital punishment?
Yes, he is a terminator, indeed! :evil: :cry:

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:21 pm

no book adaptation to movie will ever be accurate, this isn't even an question of amount of work required or $$$

is this a reason to not ever do such movies/tv shows ? stop whinning already, and just take what there is to take : full view of scrapyard with zalem in the sky, cyborgs and rotten corpses everywhere, the motorball of course and maybe the kansas cafe ?

there is plenty of material to show, i'm sure this will be overkill graphically and i'm also sure that the story won't worth shit, but since early gunnm is more of a set of separate stories (until the gr experiment), whatever he will pick, this will be like being in a future we already know, pleasure for the eyes, see it like a vacation ! :P

stop integrism plz :idea:

Sergio Nova
Künstler

Post by Sergio Nova » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:45 pm

HumanRage wrote:no book adaptation to movie will ever be accurate
Have you never seen 300?

HumanRage
Tipharean

Post by HumanRage » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:19 am

yeah, and it's already a deformed version of real greek legacy ;)

i do like the movie and it made me look after spartan history (which i found on torrent, french sat documentary). i thus learned that a great part of modern french govt scructures and counterpowers are based on how the spartian gvt was built :P

if the gunnm movie makes more people look into SF and cyberpunk/steampunk dystopias, and give the genuine readers good sights and goosebumps, what's the matter ?

don't try to project what you would like to see, it doesn't work for anyhting. just try to make a guess of a reasonable expectation from artworks, interviews and upcoming trailers, we will have time to see it coming, so no need to acidify your stomach in advance ;)

bonedaddy
Barjack soldier

Post by bonedaddy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:19 pm

I asked James Cameron about Battle Angel, point blank, on Tuesday. He came to my work for a Q&A (I work at DreamWorks Animation).

He said he dearly loved the Alita character, still wants to do it, and Motorball is in the drafts he has right now.

That said, he didn't know what movie he was doing next, although it sounded like Avatar 2 was in the cards.

Consensus around the office is that it'll probably be around 3 years before he starts up BAA.

I have also heard from multiple sources that he has many CG mockups floating around Lightstorm of the Alita characters, and possibly environments. From what I understand, it was almost in as good shape as Avatar, when he had to choose between doing one of the two.

bonedaddy
Barjack soldier

Post by bonedaddy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:27 pm

He also said that there is no correlation between the TV series Dark Angel and his Battle Angel project, thus ending years of idle speculation on my part.

Batousai
Deckman

Post by Batousai » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:30 pm

My only hope is that the movie will keep true to the feeling of the manga and not turn out the way the Hitman movie did... Nice movie, but had very little to do with the games it was supposedly based on (Timothy Oliphant instead of David Bateson (the guy 47 is modeled after), wtf?). Sorry for the OT.

I have faith in Cameron and I really hope he captures our Alita the way she deserves... (panzer kunst will be kinda interesting in a movie environment...)
You can die anytime, it is living that takes courage...

TargaryenX
Barjack soldier

Post by TargaryenX » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:58 am

Ah, so that's why they haven't made an anime yet, Cameron is hogging the rights, I see.
Yes, Black Lagoon is pretty good! As to Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and the like, I do not waste my precious time!
I feel like I should point out that although it lacks the philosophical weight that titles like BAA do, One Piece is not in the same class as the other two, the writing is far better than one would expect at first glance.

Snailygoat

Post by Snailygoat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Latest interview with Cameron which includes some info about the BAA movie although it is quite brief

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68820

Just glad he hasn't said "oh you mean that idea I had a while ago? yeaaah forgot about that one, I'll need more money for that :) "
DROP AVATAR JAMES WE DON'T NEED A SEQUEL FOR THAT! BAA ALL THE WAY