Last chapter 129!

Your thoughts on the BAA universe. Anything can be posted here.

Moderator: crazyankan

Pablolein
Deckman

Re: Last chapter 129!

Post by Pablolein » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:53 am

Yeah well, I'm somewhat dissapointed too...
Spoiler:
I felt like it was all happening so fast that I didn't have any time to "feel" anything... the events I cared the most were so superficially told that I lost interest in them. For example, Figure and Alita meeting once again, finaly, after all the things that happened between the original series and Last Order. And then Figure finds some Alita's clone and everyone is happy. And even he is totally cool with it (I know he doesn't know she is not the original Alita, but still). In the original ending I was so moved by the epilogue, Koyomi meeting Figure and finding Desty Nova, and everything suggesting that something was going on but didn't know what exactly (it was impossible for me to think that Alita was alive, I saw her turning into some space flower, but still had a little hope there could be a way) and then Full Flesh Alita falling from inside the tree to Figure's hands, all so beautifully told that made me cry for a week or so, I think. Man, even now I think of it and it makes me want to write symphony from it (if I only could...) or something. And then I found out that YK did it on the rush and he didn't want that ending and that he didn't like it... well, it made me say to myself "wow now things are going to be even more awesome than the first time!" But no, now there is a freakin clone of Alita and the original one only appeared in flashbacks. And Ido getting his memory back... I don't know, I feel he lost all memories from Alita so long ago that I was hoping the moment he would get his memory back would be more important, more poetry put into it, metaphors, I don't know, some of the things I found in every BAA chapter... but no, "Nova left me a pill and now I remember everything. I hope she's fine but I don't care too much."
I think it was a way YK could try to get most of us somewhat happy before the Great Finale he always intended, but that he didn't want to get too deep about it, just made us want to see how it will turn out in the end. I hope he gets to publish the final series exactly as he wanted, with the precise number of books, although I would certainly read Alita's story 'till the end of times. Anyway I'm not complaining, I just think I loved so many things from the original manga that YK don't want to tell anymore that I was getting great expectatives about something that was never going to happen because this is getting somewhere else. And I really think it's going to be great, so I'm pretty sure I'll love the ending of the story, even if I don't want it to end never. I hope my english is understandable, just wanted to get this out of my head.
What do we desire of life in this world?
What do we desire?
What do we have to show for ourselves?
We accomplish nothing if we fear failure.
If only we could be
stronger...

Over

Post by Over » Mon May 05, 2014 9:53 am

I also think that this "ending" is disapointing. Not because I had any expectations, but because it all feels a little bit lame, forced and flawed. Alas, the whole LO series is a bit disapointing to me. The original manga with it's original ending is still way better than what LO brought to the table.

As a matter of fact, I prefer to ignore LO, so that I can keep considering Gunnm as one of the best manga out there.

Irghen

Post by Irghen » Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 am

I'm willing to bet the regenerated original Alita is up to date with the whole thing. In the flashback, Imaginos 2.0 Alita refers to her as "that girl" (translation nonwithstanding of course), and she was hooked to the incubator for a while which we know allowed her greater processing power. Finding and talking to her original brain inside would be a trivial task for the "Quantum Agent".
Pablolein wrote:
Spoiler:
And then Figure finds some Alita's clone and everyone is happy. And even he is totally cool with it (I know he doesn't know she is not the original Alita, but still).
But he did find the original one, that is the same brain we saw in the first manga, who got blown to bits by the cabbage patch bomb kid and got reconstructed in the first chapter of Last Order. It was later that Nova took that brain out and made a biochip copy which went on to ketheres and the ZOTT. So Figure did end up with the Alita he knew and fell in love with.

I agree that the ending did feel a bit rushed, but at least it wasn't as silly as the original series ending which I felt was just like: "eveyone is happy now, let me handwave the setting, the end okithxbye". Besides, it's just an interlude now, and given that YK changed tone after the whole editorial mess a while back I have high hopes for whatever he does next with the series.
kuroro86 wrote:But I whant Sechs on Mars too, :cry:
I'm pretty sure he'll be going, remember, Rem Rei said in ch.128 p.14-15 that they were stranded on Ketheres due to the robot coup and they are looking for a shuttle. That should take them to Ping (if he's alive) and eventually to mars.

Pablolein
Deckman

Post by Pablolein » Sun May 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Irghen wrote: But he did find the original one, that is the same brain we saw in the first manga, who got blown to bits by the cabbage patch bomb kid and got reconstructed in the first chapter of Last Order. It was later that Nova took that brain out and made a biochip copy which went on to ketheres and the ZOTT. So Figure did end up with the Alita he knew and fell in love with.
Yeah, your'e right, but I don't know, at least to me the original Alita is the one who's still trying to know about her identity, and is still following clues and keeps going all the path until she gets to know it, doing some justice in the meantime. The original brain to me is now less important, perhaps it's not a clone but it's definately not the "complete" one. And I did like the original ending A LOT, I felt it more natural and got me really amazed right until the end. Just different views over the same material, I guess, just like any work of art.
What do we desire of life in this world?
What do we desire?
What do we have to show for ourselves?
We accomplish nothing if we fear failure.
If only we could be
stronger...

Dream
GIB

Post by Dream » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Took a break like 5 chapters ago and now I happen to discover this arc is over, and new content may arrive soon. Good timing.
Things shaped up nicely I think. There's a lot of potentially interesting things to happen from there.

Martin
Barjack soldier

Post by Martin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:08 pm

The brain IS the original that Figure fell in love with...with a new flesh and blood body.

LO Alita is the "fake"...but she has had a larger page count and is now the star...heck...I could be happy if it ended and he launched "The Adventures of Sechs".

I kind of drifted away around the time the Venus team fight, but then after getting to the end and leaving all the printed graphic novels in my bathroom (idk why, but that is where I really absorb BAA...?) the Vampire books are amazing, the ZOTT finale is really amazing, and exciting. It is nice that he kind of cleaned up Desty Nova's karma and made him an all around villain again. 18 and 19 are basically cleaning up the story.

It is a meandering story with ups and downs, but as I look back from the end of every large scale narrative movement, I really enjoy the trip from point a to point b. I do think he has painted himself into a corner with nigh omnipotent Alita, but we'll see how that goes.

O.P.

Post by O.P. » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:35 pm

"I do think he has painted himself into a corner with nigh omnipotent Alita, but we'll see how that goes."

But it was kind of fun in its own way. It's like Yukito at some point said "fuck it" and just started piling the deus ex machinas on top of each other.

othergrunty
Deckman

Post by othergrunty » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Martin wrote:The brain IS the original that Figure fell in love with...with a new flesh and blood body.

LO Alita is the "fake"...but she has had a larger page count and is now the star...heck...I could be happy if it ended and he launched "The Adventures of Sechs".
Considering how overpowered New Gally is, i think making Sechs and Zazie the focus of the new series (at least for the beginning) would be a smart choice. Like having them both try to find Gally on Mars and constantly following in her footsteps while also trying to figure out what she is actualy up to.

Also with all her powers Gally's encounter with Frau X would most likely end up with Gally dominating her in combat or Frau X having suddently abilities which even Gally hooked up to the mightiest computer of the solar system can't overcome easily. Both options would be kind of boring.

However Sechs being able to hold his/her self enough against Frau X to actualy see her face would be an impressive feat and make the fight far more interesting. Also Sechs allready developed a fighting style against basic Panzerkunst, seeing her/him actualy having to expand on that rather than relying on the fitziroy body would be good character development too.

Just my opinion though.

Martin
Barjack soldier

Post by Martin » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:58 pm

ZOTT did a good job of defining a top end to the pool of powers in the Gally universe. Sechs could have killed Zekka. Tunpo projected black holes. Caerula is right at home there. I think all of the primaries are within a decent realm of balance.Short of Frau X completely overcoming everything (?!?) Gally has going for her right now; Sechs could probably stick it out with her. Sechs had Zekka beat, at least first.

Eriorguez

Post by Eriorguez » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:28 pm

So, wasn't this continuing this summer?

kuroro86
GIB

Post by kuroro86 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:04 pm

The news was after the 2° half of this year. No other news since. There had to be a artbook this summer.